Brainspotting Phase One Training March 26-28, 2023
March 26 – March 28
Please note this online training is Sunday, Monday and Tuesday Eastern Time.
BRAINSPOTTING: PHASE 1Brainspotting: Phase 1 Introductory Level Three-day 21-hour live in-person online training.
OVERVIEWBrainspotting is a brain-based therapy based on the hypothesis that specific eye positions designated as “brainspots” activate and access specific areas of the midbrain that allow for the reprocessing and releasing of core neurophysiological reactions to trauma-related and other psychological experiences. In addition, brainspotting is built on a model that emphasizes therapist-client presence and attunement in the healing process. As an open and integrative model, brainspotting is adaptable to many different areas of specialization and can be integrated with other treatment models. In this introductory Brainspotting: Phase 1 training, participants will learn four basic brainspotting techniques. In addition, participants will receive an overview of the:
- standards of care and professional practice for brainspotting practitioners,
- research that supports the primary assumptions of brainspotting; and
- challenges of research and evidence-based treatment for conditions such as Complex PTSD
LEARNING OBJECTIVESParticipants of this introductory level course will be able to:
- Summarize the standards of care and professional practice of the International Brainspotting Association.
- Describe the hypothesized neurological underpinnings of how brainspotting works.
- Summarize the research that supports the hypothesized way in which eye positions activate and accesses midbrain activity.
- Explain the uncertainty principle as it relates to brainspotting.
- Describe the concepts of simultaneous neurobiological and relational attunement.
- Explain the importance of client-therapist attunement during brainspotting.
- Explain how the treatment frame is set and held by the therapist.
- Explain the role of focused mindfulness in brainspotting.
- Discuss the similarities and differences between the activation and resource models of brainspotting.
- Explain the concept of limbic countertransference.
- Demonstrate a basic mastery of the use of the outside window brainspotting technique.
- Demonstrate a basic mastery of the use of the inside window brainspotting technique.
- Demonstrate a basic mastery of the use of the gaze spot brainspotting technique.
- Demonstrate a basic mastery of the use of the resource model of brainspotting technique.
- Assess the appropriate brainspotting techniques for the treatment of Post-traumatic stress disorder, including the Dissociative Subtype, and other trauma-related symptoms.
- Describe two challenges to assessing and providing evidence-based treatment to individuals with Complex PTSD.
Click here for the agenda and refund policy.
Who is this training for?Trainings are open to all counselors, psychologists, social workers and others in the healing professions with strong clinical backgrounds, as well as students/interns in the mental health field who are curious and seek to expand their knowledge.
Trainer:Cynthia Schwartzberg, LCSW is a Senior Brainspotting Trainer and Supervisor with over 30 years of experience in private practice in NYC/Atlanta. A close colleague of Dr. David Grand, discoverer/developer of Brainspotting, she participates in a monthly consultation group with Dr. Grand. She specializes in working with survivors of profound trauma, and in creativity and performance enhancement for athletes, artists and performers, and is an internationally known seminar leader and speaker.
Continuing Education DetailsAll participants who are present for the full length of this training will receive a Certificate of Attendance from Cynthasis after completion of the post-training evaluation. Cynthasis has obtained approval for this Brainspotting Phase 1 training for 21 CEs from the Georgia Society for Clinical Social Work which is approved by the Georgia Board of Professional Counselors, Social Workers, and Marriage Therapists. All social workers, professional counselors, and marriage therapists licensed in GA will be eligible for 21 CEs for this training at no additional cost. Also, social workers, professional counselors, and marriage therapists licensed in other states in which their licensing board allows training approved by a different state board of licensing to count toward continuing education requirements will be eligible for 21 CEs for this training at no additional cost. If you are not sure of your state board of licensing’s continuing education, you can click here to check. [You are being directed to a web page on the CEMPSYCH, LLC-the continuing education company owned by Sonya Lott, Ph.D. who is also the continuing education consultant for Brainspotting Trainings, LLC] For all other participants, you can obtain continuing education credits for this training through R. Cassidy Seminars only if you are licensed in one of the states for which R. Cassidy Seminars is an approved provider of continuing education for their specific discipline. The cost is $30. Here are the disciplines and specific states for which R. Cassidy Seminars is an approved provider of continuing education:
- psychologists licensed in NY
- psychoanalysts licensed in NY
- social workers licensed in IL, NY, & OH
- counselors/marriage and family therapists licensed in IL, NY, OH, & TX
- creative arts therapists licensed in NY
- chemical dependency Counselors licensed in CA & TX
- educators licensed in TX and
- nurses licensed in CA
Cynthasis, LLC Training Agreement
By attending this Brainspotting Training, I understand and agree to the below terms and conditions.
Confidentiality: This training is delivered using a PowerPoint presentation, live/online demonstrations, and practicums during which attendees will be working with their own personal material. All personal and clinical information is to be kept confidential and may not be shared elsewhere. Treat the personal information of others with the same respect which you would expect for yourself.
Online platform. It is understood that:
Possible Misunderstandings due to the lack of nonverbal cues normally present with in-person teaching, technology-assisted teaching is prone to possible misunderstandings and clarification will be requested when necessary.
Privacy Breaches. Technology-assisted teaching utilizes a large number of outside resources and companies (internet and software providers, public utilities, etc). All these entities are prone to their own security risks.
Competency: Treating trauma requires specific training in the nature of trauma, its effects on the brain and body, establishing and maintaining safety, and much more. This is not a course on trauma and trauma treatment, and this course does not make you a trauma therapist if you are not one already. Rather, it teaches an effective tool to add to your treatment repertoire. You are responsible for your own professional development in this area.
Responsibility. This course uses demonstrations and practicums to develop participants’ understanding of Brainspotting and its clinical applications. This course is intended for education and professional development. It is not designed or intended to be for the attendee’s personal therapy, nor for clinical supervision. If you find that you are emotionally activated during practice sessions, please do speak to a trainer or assistant, and of course, do what you need to regulate yourself. If participants need additional support or input following this course, this is not the responsibility of the trainers nor of Brainspotting Training, LLC.
Volunteers and Practicum Process. My participation in volunteering for demonstration and/or practicums is to help myself and others learn the material. I understand this is not therapy and not intended to replace therapy. As a volunteer, I agree to have others learn from my personal experience. I agree to work respectfully with my partners in the practicums.
Scope of Practice. This course is available to licensed mental health professionals who are members of a professional regulating body, and to trainees in those professions. It is your responsibility to work at all times within the scope of practice of your own discipline.
Fees:Early Registration: Register before January 15, 2023 – $745 Standard Registration: January 15 through March 11, 2023 – $795 Late Registration: March 12 to March 26, 2023 – $845 Registration Fee for Full-Time Students only in an accredited program: $400
Register using the form below:
By registering for this training, you acknowledge you have read and understood the Continuing Education Details above and have read and agree to the Training Agreement above.If you do not receive a letter with details about the training upon completion of payment, please email [email protected]
- When prompted to subscribe, please say yes so you will receive the needed information regarding the training. You may always unsubscribe at a later time.
- If possible, please use a personal email address instead of your work email to prevent company/organizational servers from blocking necessary correspondence.
- Please use the address you want your book and pointer mailed to and the phone number where we can reach you during the training.